Release Conditions in Brightspace can help restrict access to or release items once a condition has been met. These work for announcements, assignments, quizzes, files, modules, etc. They are quite versatile, if you know how to use them! For example, you could use a release condition to make an announcement that only one group in your course can see, or you could use a release condition to release an extra practice quiz for someone who scored less than 70% on a specific quiz. Read below to find out where to find this setting and to learn how to use them.
1. Log into brightspace.ptsem.edu and enter your course.
2. Find the space/item where you want to create a release condition. Below you will find a list of common items for release conditions and how to find that setting.
- For entire modules, click on Content and the title of the module. At the top of the module, click Add Dates and Restrictions... Under Release Conditions, select Create.
- For an item in a module (including PDF's, links to websites, text from "Create a File", etc.), click on Content and the title of the module where the item is. Next to the item, select the down arrow symbol and click Edit Properties In-place. Click Add Dates and Restrictions... Under Release Conditions, select Create.
- For an announcement, select New Announcement. Under the textbox, you will see a space for "Additional Release Conditions." Select Create and Attach.
- For an assignment, quiz, or discussion that you already made, go to Assignments, Discussions, or Quizzes and click the arrow next to the item name. Select Edit. Select Restrictions and scroll down to "Release Conditions." Select Create and Attach.
3. Set the condition type that you want from the drop-down list. You will see that you can add conditions such as enrollment in a specific group or section, enrollment in the course with a specific role (e.g. Learner, Guest, Teaching Assistant), grade values for certain items, or visiting certain content in the course.
4. Select Create.
5. If you want multiple conditions, create another and select either All conditions must be met or Any condition must be met.
6. Select Update or Save and Close in order for the changes to process.