The Discussions feature on Brightspace can be a little bit confusing with the different names for each element. Here is an introduction to Discussions and how to set them up and use them.
Setting Up Discussions
1. Log in to brightspace.ptsem.edu and go into your course.
2. Select Discussions from the blue Navbar.
3. If you haven't already, create a new forum by clicking New and then New Forum.
4. Enter a Forum title (required) and description (optional), then select Save and Add Topic.
5. Add a Topic title (required) and description (optional).
Creating Discussion Topics for Groups or Sections
If your class has precept groups (made in class) or sections (made via the registrar), you may want to create Brightspace discussion topics for each group/section. Follow the steps below to set this up in your course.
1. After you have set up your Discussion Forum, select Save and Add Topic. [Each topic you create will be visible only to one group/section.]
2. Add a Topic title (required) and description (optional). You may want to include the group/section name in the topic title.
3. Assuming you have already created groups or have sections in your course, you will see "Topic Type" above the Topic Title space. Select the second option: "Group or section topic, everyone can access this topic, but students only see threads from their own group or section."
4. Finish setting up the topic and click "Save and Close" or "Save and New" if you want to set up another Topic.
Creating a Discussion Thread
On the navbar, click Discussions. Alternatively, the Discussion Topic may be available within your module, which you can click on to access.
- Click the topic where you want to create a thread. If you have accessed the Discussion Topic through a module, you will bypass this step.
- Click Start a New Thread.
- Enter a subject/title.
- Enter your post.
- You can attach files to your Discussion Thread. To do this, click the Add Attachments arrow underneath the paragraph text box.
- You can record a video or audio file directly into the Discussion Thread if you would like.
- For Video files, click Record Video > Allow > Record. When you finish recording, click Stop. To erase your recording, click Clear. To add the recording to your Discussion Thread, click Add.
- For Audio files, click Record Audio > Record. To make adjustments to your microphone selection and volume, click Flash Settings. To listen to your recording, click Play. To erase your recording, click Clear.
- If you have pre-recording video or audio, or you would like to attach a different type of file, you can upload the files by either dragging the files into the Attachment box or clicking Upload.
- After clicking Upload, you search your documents to find the files that you would like to upload. Once you select the file, click Choose. The file name will display in the Attachments box.
- Once you have included all of the information and files you would like for your Discussion Thread, click Post.
Responding to a Discussion Thread
- Locate the Discussion Thread you want to reply to.
- Do either of the following:
- To reply to the main thread post, click Reply to Thread.
- To reply to a particular post inside the thread, go to that post and click Reply.
- Enter your reply in the paragraph text box. To include the original post’s text in your reply, click the Add original post text link.
- Set any of the following options:
- To receive updates on the thread using your selected notification method, select Subscribe to this thread.
- To attach a file, in the Attachments area, click Browse to locate the file you want to attach.
- To attach an audio recording, in the Attachments area, click Record Audio > Record. To make adjustments to your microphone selection and volume, click Flash Settings. To listen to your recording, click Play. To erase your recording, click Clear. If you have pre-recorded audio and are using a supported browser, you can drag audio files onto the attachments upload target.
- To attach a video recording, in the Attachments area, click Record Video > Allow > Record. When you finish recording, click Stop. Click Clear to erase your recording or Add to add the recording. If you have pre-recorded video and are using a supported browser, you can drag video files onto the attachments upload target.
- Click Post.